Since 2006, Chelmsford Star Co-op has raised over £400,000 through our Charity of the Year initiative, benefited such causes as the Essex & Herts Air Ambulance, Canine Partners, Essex Dementia Care, and the Alzheimer's Society, along with many other wonderful causes.
Our focus across this 2020/21 fundraising year is on supporting charities and organisations across Essex that are struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To that end, we've formed a partnership with the Essex Community Foundation to raise money for The Essex Coronavirus Response & Recovery Programme.
Until May 2021, all money raised from colleagues, members and customers will go towards this fund, which will be used to keep many vital services running across Essex that might otherwise be at risk, both now and as we move forward into the next stages of recovery.
You can support this fund by donating to collection tins in any of our outlets, or via our Justgiving page here.
How to become our next Charity of the Year
If you represent a charity and are interested in applying to be a future Charity of the Year partner please read the information below to ensure that you meet the criteria.
- You must be a bona fide charity with Essex coverage
- You should provide information on a specific project we can help fund (for guidance, most years we tend to raise an average of £30k)
- You should be able to supply 200 collecting tins, fundraising ideas and opportunities
- You may be required to make contact with our individual stores and assist with fundraising activities as and when required
- Final funds will be presented as a lump sum on the week of our AGM (usually mid-May) and can't be spread throughout the year
The selection process for 2021:
- Applications must be received by the Society by 9th March 2021.
- Up to 6 charities will be selected from the applications and invited to present to 'pitch' to a committee in March.
- 3 charities will be short-listed and will go forward to a colleague vote in April.
- The winning charity will be notified and introduced at the Annual General Meeting in May 2021.
How to apply:
Your application should include an introduction of your charity, and a succinct summary (totalling a maximum of 2 pages of A4) telling us why your charity should be considered and what you require the funds for. Interested parties should email our Society President, Susan Sullivan, on COTY@chelmsfordstar.coop or write to her at Chelmsford Star Co-op, 220 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0LS. Closing date is 9th March 2021.