Next-level meatballs topped with a cauli cheese crust
Feeds 8 • Ready in 1 hour 25 mins
- 2 x 350g packs Co-op British beef meatballs
- 1 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans Co-op chopped tomatoes
- 40g Co-op unsalted butter
- 40g Co-op plain flour
- 400ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 115g Co-op British white mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 125g ball Co-op mozzarella, torn
- In a nonstick frying pan, dry fry the meatballs over a high heat for 5 mins, until browned all over.
- Transfer to a plate. Heat the oil in the pan and cook the onion gently for 10-15 mins.
- Add the thyme, garlic and paprika, and cook for 2 mins. Stir in the tomatoes and 400ml water.
- Season, then simmer for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the flour to make a smooth paste and cook gently for 2 mins.
- Stir in the milk, a little at a time, then cook for 5 mins, stirring, until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in 50g of the Cheddar. Cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 5 mins, then drain.
- Put the meatballs and tomato sauce in a 3-litre baking dish.
- Top with the cauliflower, cheese sauce, mozzarella and remaining Cheddar.
- Bake for 20 mins, until golden, then serve.