Have you considered investing in a business that has had its roots in the community since 1867?
Is it time for your money to branch out into other areas? Why not support your local co-op to help your community by investing into share capital. Our members can invest anything from £1 to £50,000 and be rewarded with interest rates and bonus payments of up to 3.5%.
What's in it for you? A combined interest rate and loyalty bonus means we offer a very competitive way of rewarding our members.
What's in it for Essex? Leaving your money with us will make a big difference to your community as we will reinvest it back into Essex, such as through the initiatives and activities you'll find across this website.
Investment amount bonus
(Payable January 2021)
(Effective Jan 2020)
Up to £4,999
£5,000 up to £9,999
Up to 0.6%
£10,000 up to £14,999
Up to 1.55%
£15,000 up to £50,000
Up to 1.75%
Terms & Conditions:
The maximum loyalty bonus is achieved if your capital is left for the duration of a financial year. Removing your investment within that time will reduce your bonus. Rates correct as of our 2020/21 financial year.
The value of your investment remains at par and will not go up or down. The Society gives no specific security against the investment other than the strength of its own independently audited balance sheet, copies of which are available on request or on the Society’s website.
Matters relating to Interest include:
- Interest is not subject to deduction of taxation and the gross amount will be credited to the account annually, unless payment of interest is requested by the member.
- Interest is calculated on a daily basis.
- Where adding interest to the account would increase the balance above the £50,000 maximum limit, the excess amount will be paid to keep the account within the Rule’s limits.
- Interest is paid on Investment Shares at rates which is determined by the Board of Directors and may vary if market conditions change, but which will always be competitive. Alterations to interest rates will be advised by notices prominently displayed in the registered office and on the website, similar to the announcement appearing below.
- Interest may be requested to be paid half yearly, where the capital sum invested exceeds £15,000. Interest cheques may not be reinvested.
Taxpayers have a responsibility to declare interest to HM Revenue and Customs.
Loyalty Bonus – from 26th January 2020 amounts held until 30th January 2021 will attract a bonus for each complete calendar month of investment.
Monies added after 26th January 2020, in the above stated interest bands, will accrue a loyalty bonus at 1/12th of the advertised rate for each complete month of investment, provided they remain invested until 30th January 2021.
Amounts withdrawn before 30th January 2021 will still receive interest at the publicised rate for that band of investment up to the date of withdrawal, but will not qualify for any bonus.
In the event of a part withdrawal, the amount which remains invested will continue to accrue bonus (at the rate applicable to that band of investment) provided the holding has not fallen below the minimum qualifying level for loyalty bonus.
Withdrawals: Ordinarily, the following timescales apply;
· Upto £20,000 allow seven days for processing and receipt of your withdrawal.
· Greater than £20,000 within a 30 day period, 30 days notice may apply.
In the unlikely event that members collectively withdraw in excess of £500,000 in a calendar month, funds will be available within 90 days.
Please note: The Society abides by a code of practice which requires it to provide a statement to its shareholders of the nature of their investment and any change affecting it. The position each member occupies as a shareholder of Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society is no different to that of a shareholder in any corporate body in the sense that, if the business fails, they may not have all, or any, of their investment returned to them. Investments may be withdrawn without penalty, at the discretion of the Board of Directors. The Society, unlike banks and building societies, is not subject to prudential supervision by the Financial Conduct Authority.
For information about becoming a member or making an investment, contact
Investment Department, Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society Limited, FREEPOST ANG 2556, Chelmsford CM2 0YY
Or e-mail Lauren@chelmsfordstar.coop Tel. 01245 490101 ext 517 Page updated 11.03.2020