Since 1867, our members have stepped forward to represent others like them, or their communities, to ensure that their interests are taken into account by our Society.
After all, Chelmsford Star is owned by its members!
These opinions are expressed through one of three levels of democratic governance; the Board of Directors, the Membership Committee and the Members' Council.
Each tier requires different levels of commitment, experience and availability, and focusses on particular aspects of the Society's business. They meet regularly with members of the Society's Executive team to help guide business strategy and comment on decisions being considered based on their own life experience.
Who Is Eligible To Stand?
Any person can step forward for nomination, providing that they fulfil the following criteria;
- They've been a member of Chelmsford Star for at least one year for Board nomination, or at least six months for the Committee or Council.
- They, or a close relative of theirs, is not engaged in a managerial capacity of any business trade or undertaking which competes with the Society
- They are not bankrupt
- They accept and agree to abide by the relevant Code of Conduct (see below documents)
- They fulfil the following share capital or spend criteria;
- Board: At least £250 share capital, or purchases from the Society over at least £500 the previous year
- Membership Committee: At least £100 share capital, or purchases of at least £250 the previous year
- Members' Council: At least £50 share capital, or purchases of at least £100 in the previous six months
For more information and to apply please visit: https://www.chelmsfordstar.coop/members/becoming-elected-member