Discover Fair trader
Fair Trader is a community co-operative, part of the international co-operative movement. It is made up of our members, our customers, our suppliers, our producers and other institutions, including Chelmsford Star, co-operating to support the development of fair and ethical trading.
We are driven solely by our purpose to:
- partner smaller and sustainable suppliers, particularly co-operatives, and thereby help disadvantaged communities.
- Provide customers with a diverse and contemporary range of fairly traded, relevant and ethical products, which have been assessed in terms of their sustainability.
- Support the enterprise and initiatives of other fair trade organisations, co-operatives, schools, and community groups
Our partnership with Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society
Co-operative members have played a key role both in the development of fair trade and supporting their local communities. Fair Trader work with local companies, schools, and community groups to develop and promote a range of gifts that are now available through our on line shop at www.fairtrader.coop and we are now extending this activity to the Chelmsford Star Co-operative region with the support of their membership team. This gives co-operators the opportunity to support fair trade and co-operative values, and small local producers, by choosing from our unique range of ethical gifts. There will be regular offers with special incentives for Chelmsford Star Co-operative members.
Discover the story behind each one of our products
Each product and supplier is assessed by our members and rated (5 is best!) to make sure it has a positive social and economic impact, is environmentally sound and is produced in a transparent way. Producers include small co-operatives from Afghanistan, Bolivia, Colombia, Ethiopia, Nepal, Palestine and many other countries.
Discover a world of beautiful products
At Fair Trader our philosophy is that you don’t have to compromise on design, function or taste to be ethical. Our gifts offer good value and the knowledge that you are helping artisans and community producers around the world.
Discover the benefits of membership
We are a community co-operative owned and managed by over 600 members, who want to make a difference to the lives of communities around the world, and to our lives too. You can become a member of our community by investing as little as £20, enjoy benefits and get involved.
- Members receive invitations and reduced entry prices to our events and tastings, learn from our producers and suppliers, and introduce new producers we can work with.
- Loyalty points on purchases, vote and participate in meetings on-line
- Play your part as a volunteer wherever you live-researching suppliers, helping with the website, events planning, or building links with other co-operatives, Fairtrade, schools and charitable organisations.
Most important of all, you will be encouraging small ethical businesses to provide young people with skills, sustainable employment, hope, and dignity where it is most needed.